top of page

The Desha County 911 office provides a comprehensive and uniform system of permanent road addresses for all residences and businesses throughout the County in order to facilitate provision of adequate public safety and emergency response services. Countywide road names and addresses help law enforcement and emergency services departments save lives and property by reducing the time it takes them to reach the scene of an emergency.

What is a 911 address?

A 9-1-1 address is the "physical" address of your structure. When you dial 911 from a "land line" phone in an emergency, this is the location information that is available to a dispatcher. The 911 address is assigned based on the actual location of your structure as it relates to other structures near yours.

Why do I need a 911 address?

When a dispatcher receives a 911 call, they need to be able to locate the caller. The dispatcher guides emergency responders to the location. In the case of "land line" phones, a 911 address should be tied to it so that the dispatcher can see it automatically. This is especially important if the caller is unable to speak or unaware of the 911 address. A 911 address is required by Desha County Ordinance No. 210 which specifies how the uniform system is to be setup, maintained, and enforced.


When do I need a 911 address?

Many types of structures require a 911 address: some types of barns, all businesses, all houses and/or mobile homes, hunting/fishing camps, water and cell towers, and many other structures.. You must complete a "911 Address Application" in order to obtain an address. Applications are available through the County Judge's office at the Courthouse. You can call (870)-377-3911 to arrange for the application or it can be obtained from this website.

How do I get a 911 address?

A 911 address is assigned when a structure is being built or moved onto a location, such as a mobile home, house, or business. You should obtain your address prior to arranging for utilities and other services. You must complete a "911 address Application" in order to obtain an address. Applications are available through the County Judge's office at the Courthouse. You can call (870) 377-3911 to arrange for the application or it can be obtained from this website.

How should I display my 911 address?

Seconds count when emergency responders are trying to locate an address. Please follow the guidelines of the "Installation of 911 address numbers" to make sure your 911 address is properly displayed. You may also refer to Desha County Ordinance 210 for details.

Will my address change?

It is possible that your address can change. There are many factors which are used to determine your address. If/when those factors change it may be necessary to change your 9-1-1 address in order to comply with the County addressing scheme. If a structure or mobile home is moved, the 9-1-1 office should be contacted to determine if a new address is needed. In addition, the County Assessor should be contacted when structures are modified, built, or moved.

Why will my address change?

There was a problem with your existing address and it was changed so that Emergency Responders could better locate you in the event of an Emergency. Your address may have changed for any one of the following reasons:

  • Your address was out of sequence with respect to your neighbors. Addresses need to progress in sequence along the road and they should also be closely numbered to the addresses near you.

  • Your address was on the wrong side of the street. Even numbered addresses should all be on one side of the street and odd numbered addresses on the other side. Your address number was duplicated with another structure.

  • Your house is on a private drive with 2 or more other structures accessed off that same private drive.

  • Your road name/number designation needs to be changed.

  • Your address had to change as the result of other address changes.

  • Your address may have been assigned incorrectly to start with.

Who should I notify about my address change?

Following are several common entities you will need to notify: Power Company and Utility Providers, Place of Employment, Insurance Company, DMV, Cell Phone Company, Cable Company, Newspapers, Bank, Magazines, Voter Registration, Property Tax Office, and Schools attended by your child/children.

What qualifies naming/numbering a road?

Any private drive with two or more residential or business structures may be assigned an E-911 street name/number regardless of whether it is a private or public street or road.

My private drive is now named/numbered. Will the County now maintain the road?

No. The County named/numbered your road to make it easier to find in the event of an emergency. The County has not taken any ownership or any responsibility to maintain the road. The County may install signage, if necessary. Many county roads are timber access roads and are maintained by the timber companies or other individuals. These roads may have County road numbers assigned.

bottom of page